The future of energy is changing in many ways. WE ARE GVEA was this year’s theme and was a reminder to everyone that we’re not just customers – we are member-owners. GVEA is here to serve our members – to provide reliable power at a reasonable cost.
At the GVEA Annual Members’ Meeting on April 29, GVEA CEO Cory Borgeson provided an update on the following three big energy projects:
- Eva Creek Wind just completed its second year and was more productive than the first year.
- GVEA’s fuel team reached an agreement with Petro Star Refinery to supply our North Pole Power Plant with a naphtha-blend fuel.
- Healy 2 restart project is on time and on budget and will come online this summer.
In addition to energy projects, CEO Borgeson reported that the lower cost of oil has helped GVEA members and an average residential electric bill has fallen 12% since the beginning of the year. Since 2011, a typical member is seeing about $25 in savings every month. He also informed members that GVEA’s team is working on two new projects for 2016 – a new Energy Management System, which is used for dispatching power, and also a new Outage Management System.
Here are the drawing winners from this year’s meeting:
- Two (2) $250 GVEA electric gift certificates donated by IBEW Local 1547: Walter & Gail Carlo and Chris Zwolinski
- $250 – Patrick & Kellie Dolan, Cheryl & Michael Egan, James & Norma Goldsby and Susan & Michael Griffin
- $500 – Astrid Larson and Walter Lincoln
- $1,000 – Diane Griffin
The meeting drew a crowd of 329 members, which did not meet the bylaw requirement of 650 for a quorum. The meeting continued as an informational meeting, and the minutes from the 2013 and 2014 meeting, could not be approved.