Here are the results:
- District 4: Incumbent Gary Newman retained his seat over challenger Derek Miller. Of the 6,501 ballots mailed, 957 valid ballots were cast, a 15% return.
- Derek Miller: 405 votes / 42%
- Gary Newman: 550 votes / 58%
- District 7: With four candidates, no candidate received the required 40% or more of the votes cast for the district. In accordance with GVEA’s Bylaws, a run-off election will now be held between the two candidates receiving the most votes. Challengers Todd Adams and Katherine Hennigan received the most votes, followed by incumbent Brad Benson and challenger Julie Morris. Of the 1,141 ballots mailed, 290 valid ballots were cast, a 25% return.
- Ballots for the District 7 run-off election between Todd Adams and Katherine Hennigan will be distributed within 21 days.
- Todd Adams: 111 votes / 38%
- Brad Benson: 61 votes / 21%
- Katherine Hennigan: 79 votes / 27%
- Julie Morris: 39 votes / 14%
Congratulations to Gary Newman, and our sincere appreciation to all the candidates. We recognize the commitment and dedication required to campaign. One of the major advantages of being a member of an electric cooperative is local, democratic governance. Every GVEA member receiving service has a vote in director elections, and all directors who serve on the board are members, making decisions in the best interest of the membership. Thank you to all members in district 4 and district 7 who took the time to vote for your GVEA Directors.
Next year, directors for District 5 (Chris Bunch) and District 6 (John Sloan) will be up for election. For more information about GVEA’s Board of Directors, visit: https://www.gvea.com/board-of-directors/