Golden Valley Electric Association (GVEA) offers standard billing for all members. Under standard billing procedures, an account is billed based on the prior month’s usage.
In addition, GVEA offers the following billing options for residential members:
- Levelized Budget Billing
- Rolling Average Billing
These programs help to even out electric bill payments, preventing drastic changes – even in the coldest months
Levelized Budget Billing
- Designed to eliminate extremely high or low bills that you may receive throughout the calendar year
- It does this by providing a fixed amount due each month
- The fixed payment amount shall be reevaluated each April (or as necessary) from a review of the member’s previous usage
*Please note* As of January 2023, the ability to maintain a standing credit on your account or pay in advance is not an option when enrolled in Budget Billing. The intent of Levelized Budgeted Billing is to aid in members successful monthly budgeting by removing extremely high or low bills throughout the year and anticipating a consistent balance due each month. To ensure your balance does not fall into a past due state we suggest enrolling in auto-pay in which the fixed amount due each month will pull on the due date.
How it Works
- GVEA will periodically review your account to compare actual bills with budget payments
- The fixed monthly amount may be raised or lowered if the review reveals a variation of 10% or more over or under anticipated seasonally adjusted billings
- If the annual review in April reveals that a member has a balance (over/under), the balance will be added to or subtracted from the average monthly bill in 12 equal installments
- Once enrolled, members will automatically be re-enrolled into the Levelized Budget Billing Plan each April
How Can I Qualify?
- All residential members of GVEA who are current with their bills and have been a member for at least 1 year at the same service location are eligible to participate in the Levelized Budget Billing Plan
Rolling Average Billing
- Residential members may enroll in Rolling Average Billing at any time
- This plan is based on a rolling 12-month average, which helps smooth out the dramatic changes in your monthly bills
How it Works
- This plan is designed to provide more consistent and predictable monthly bills by managing the impact of seasonal usage and fuel price variations
- The plan helps smooth out the dramatic changes allowing you to pay approximately an average amount (not a fixed amount) each month
- Once enrolled, members will remain in the Rolling Average Billing program until they close the account or notify GVEA that they no longer want to continue in the Rolling Average Billing program
Here’s an example:
|February||$409.43||$277.96 – Highest Payment|
|August||$57.01||$86.80 – Lowest Payment|
There are certain eligibility requirements.