GVEA Rights of Way Video
When Golden Valley Electric Association (GVEA)’s right-of-way crews clear an area around nearby power lines, your power should not be affected. In fact, this program is in place to prevent trees from growing into the power lines. Golden Valley Electric attempts to notify residents of ROW clearing plans well in advance. Members in areas where power lines will be cleared should receive a postcard notification. You may also download the
The 2022 Right of Way clearing season has begun! Below you will find a list of clearing areas and approximate times we expect crews to be in those locations. This information is subject to change. For the most up-to-date information on where crews are and will be, please check GVEA’s Facebook page every week. If you have any questions, please call the Operations Department at (907) 451-5692.
- Usibelli Coal Mine Rd and Waugaman Road – Healy Substation R1 (first of the season April to the beginning of May)
- Denali National Park to Mile 273 Parks Highway, including Healy – Healy Substation R2 (May through July)
- Hurst Road east of Dawson Road, including Freedom Drive, to Nelson Road and neighborhoods off Nelson Road From Lyle Avenue North – Dawson Road Substation R1 (September)
- Neighborhoods accessed off of Dawson Road, north of Hurst Road and Plack Road, as well as the south side of Repp Road, east of Quincy – Dawson Road Substation R3 (End of September)
- Peridot Street to Brock Road as far north as Willis Court, along Badger Road from Plack Road to the Speedway. This circuit also goes west to 12 mile village and to the Bunge subdivision – Highway Park Substation R2 (October).
- From the Badger Road and Plack Road intersection, south on Badger Road into North Pole, to Park Way and Street Nicholas Drive. This circuit also goes almost a mile down Plack Road and south to include Flight Street and portions of the neighborhood south of Hurst Road – Highway Park Substation R3 (October)
- Bradway Road from Dennis Road to Badger Road and from Badger Road south to Marigold. This also includes Dennis Road to the Pellet plant on the south side of the Richardson Highway, the neighborhood accessed by Cobb Road and Lu Ann Road – Badger Road Substation R1 (May through August)
- Persinger Drive and Badger Road north of Holmes Road to Browns Hill Quarry – Badger Road Substation R2 (May and August)
- Badger Road from Browns Hill Quarry to Sirlin Drive, including Holmes Road and Dennis Road to Copper Street – Badger Road Substation R3 (July through September)
- Badger Road from Alder Drive to Itta Lane, Peede Road, Freeman Road, Nordale Road to the Little Chena River – Badger Road Substation R4 (May through October)
Chena Hot Springs Road
- Clearing will mostly be between 8 and 15 mile Chena Hot Springs Road – Brockman Substation R2 (April through May)
- From about 4 mile Chena Hot Springs Road east to about 8 mile CHSR including Love Road, Esro Road, Herning Road, Risse Road, Smallwood Tr, Jamal Lane, and Nordale Road as far south as Severns Road – Brockman Substation R4 (April through mid-June)
- Chena Substation B3, B4, B5, and B6 will be cleared by a yet-to-be-named contractor
- This is a large portion of Fairbanks mostly North of Airport Way and south of the Chena River, bordered on the east near Noble Street (the length of 7th Avenue and a line that goes between 10th and 12th extend further east) and the west at Park Drive. This substation also feeds the Railroad Industrial Park area and Brandt neighborhoods north of the Chena River. On the south side of Airport Way there is a line that goes down Peger Road to Davis Road and another line that goes down Cowles Road as far as 17th ave on East Cowles Road. The north side of Kennicott Avenue is also included. On the south side of Airport Way is Market Street to South Kobuk Street, which will be cleared as well.
- Sherwood Forest Subdivision and Chena Ridge Spur Road, along Chena Pump from the Parks Highway overpass to Chena Small Tracts, including the neighborhoods of Palo Verde, Amherst, Trinidad, and some of Dartmouth – Chena Pump Substation R1 (mid-June through mid-July and month of September).
- Includes most of Goldhill Road and the East end of Chena Ridge, the rest of the circuit has been recleared recently – Chena Pump Substation R4 (mid-September through the end of October).
- The west end of Chena Ridge, Becker Ridge, Cripple Circle, and Rosie Circle – Ester Substation R1 (May through mid-June).
- West from University Ave along Airport Way and Frontage Road, including Boat Street, Sportman Way, and Old Airport Road – International Airport Substation R1 (August through mid-September).
- Most of Chena Ridge, Chena Small Tracts, and Hoselton Road – International Airport Substation R2 (August through mid-September).
- Dale Road and Broadmoor Avenue from Hoselton Road all the way to the end of the FAI runway – International Airport Substation R3 (August through mid-September).
- From Easy Street east, including Lakeview Drive, the Richardson Highway and Old Richardson Highway all the way to mile 353 of the Richardson Highway – South Fairbanks Substation R2 (October through end of season).
- From the Substation at Brewster Street on Old Steese Highway North. This circuit feeds north and east. Old and New Steese Highways to Fox to the north, and Strawberry Road on Steele Circle Road to the east. This includes Steele Creek Road, Bennett Road, Gilmore Township Road, Goldmine Township Road, Haglebarger, Sunny Hills, Broadview, Jade, Prospect Park Subdivision, and Valley View Subdivision – Kasalek Substation B5 (October through end of season).
- Just beyond the railroad tracks at Anderson – Nenana Substation R2 (April through May).